Just a few days ago I was victimized by a sneaky little punk! I was simply gassing up where I usually do and all seemed well, but it wasn’t. I dropped my guard and found out a few days later that my card had been skimmed and now I was out a little over $1,800.00 until my fraud protection can return it to me. So to better protect myself I did some research and thought I had better pass along what I’ve learned.
Your ATM card is always at risk, it doesn’t matter where you go. You can be purchasing online, or at the store. You don’t know where the thieves are, but here are some tips to help keep your card and more importantly your money safe.
“Here are five ways to make sure you’re not a victim of ATM skimmers.
- Look around the ATM vestibule for places where a scammer could hide a tiny camera, such as a brochure rack, Krebs said.
- Take a close look at the keypad. Try to see if there is a fake overlay on top of it. Maybe the keypad looks thicker than usual. You probably won’t be able to detect the really top-notch PIN-pad overlays, but it doesn’t hurt to check.
- Look over the entire ATM for parts that don’t match in styling, color or material. Krebs said scammers sometimes place a fascia (a large form-fitting mold) over the business area of the original ATM. The fascia will contain the skimmer and camera.
- Try to jiggle the card reader. If it moves, so should you — to another ATM
- Cover your hands when you enter your PIN. It’s one of the easiest and most effective ways to protect yourself from an ATM scammer’s hidden camera.”
The best way, however, can’t be taught.
“It helps to trust your gut,” Krebs said. “If you see something that doesn’t look right, consider going to another ATM.”
See the full article online HERE! http://www.tomsguide.com/us/how-to-spot-atm-skimmers,news-17615.html
In my research I’ve learned that skimmer systems used to require the thief to return and pick up their device, now they are blue tooth connected so they can simply walk within range, and collect all the data without exposing themselves again to security cameras. Thief’s are getting smarter and smarter, so we need to be more and more vigilant. Always perform your own security check when you are about to use an ATM. Hopefully this has helped at least one of you out there to avoid a similar fate. Always be on the lookout and please stay safe out there.